It wouldn’t be a transfer window if Paulo Dybala’s name wasn’t mentioned in connection with a move to Tottenham Hotspur.
After seven years with Juventus, the 28-year-old announced his departure earlier this month. Spurs, among others, have been linked with signing the striker on a free transfer this summer following a season in which he scored 15 goals and provided six assists.
Tottenham tried to sign Dybala in the summer of 2019 but were unable to secure a deal for then-manager Mauricio Pochettino. With the Argentina international available for free this summer, it was expected that Spurs would try once more to bring him to north London, according to reports.
However, it is understood that Spurs are not considering entering the competition for Dybala at this time.
Tottenham’s managing director of football, Fabio Paratici, is not quite convinced of the striker’s suitability for Antonio Conte’s vision.
When Spurs enquired in 2019, it is said that Paratici was one of those at Juventus wanting to move the striker on. He was in charge of transfers at the Turin club at the time.
“I was close to leaving. That was in the club’s thinking, I knew. Until the last minute, we were waiting,” Dybala told the Guardian later that season before stating that his coach Maurizio Sarri had not been the one wanting him to leave Juventus.
Tottenham will aim to sign a striker for Conte this season, especially with the chance of Champions League action added to the schedule if Spurs can earn a point at Norwich in the Premier League season finale on Sunday.
The decision for Paratici and Conte will be whether to bring in a natural number nine as a straight back-up or support for Harry Kane up front, or a striker who can also play out wide to give them more minutes and compensate for the potential loss of Steven Bergwijn this summer, with the Dutch attacker wanting regular football ahead of the World Cup.
Conte has already mentioned that he wants his striker to be the focal point of his system, which lends itself to a more natural number nine. Spurs have long been interested in Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but admit that the 25-year-old, who would command a high cost, is unlikely to join a club if he is not guaranteed a starting spot.